Thursday, November 22, 2012

Tackling That Yarn Stash!

As most knitters and crocheters know (or deny), we all have a yarn stash that continues to grow and grow, despite our best intentions. There's always that yarn skein we "simply MUST have!" and when we find a pattern we want to make, we never have the right yarn to make it in. Soooo, we HAVE to buy new yarn!

For the last few years, I somehow managed not to buy very much yarn. Living in France and not really have a stable home where I could safely store my yarn stash, I decided I would try to limit my projects to the stash I already owned or only buy yarn when I had a specific pattern in mind. I even took a bag of yarn with me to France and justified the added weight and space used in my luggage by vowing to use it all up during my two year stint in Rouen. Did I succeed? If you're a fellow knitter/crocheter, you already know the answer to this question. A big fat NOPE! Not even close, bud! I did do a lot of knitting and crocheting in France. Only, I always bought new yarn for the project I wanted to make. Last year when I came home, again I decided to only bring one big bag full of yarn to Virginia. And once again, I vowed to use up the whole stash. Well, this time I have been a bit better and have used a lot of the yarn I brought with me. But if I'm being completely honest, it's been about half and half. Half old, half new. And recently, I've made a few new purchases. Still, my goal hasn't changed. I plan on using up the yarn in my stash, dangnabbit! This I vow!

Some of the items I've made with my original yarn stash include: a blanket (still in progress), two dog sweaters, Make that three dog sweaters since I remade one that didn't quite fit the first time around. I've also made two neck warmers (recipients still pending), a bracelet (pictured in my previous post), a coaster (this morning I needed one for my Diet Coke can, so I made one up), a headband (picture forthcoming), and the swatches I donated to the Yarn Bombing. Not bad, if you ask me. Actually, I think I deserve a reward for using up all that "old" yarn. Don't you? How about some new yarn, you say? What a great idea! I think I just might go out and get some!!


No comments:

Post a Comment