Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Maggie Mat

This past summer I let a friend borrow my netbook while I was on vacation and I gave it to him in a crocheted case I made a few years ago. I had used Lion Brand's Suede yarn in Turquoise and it's very soft to the touch. A few days after I left the computer at my friend's house, he sent me a text of this picture of Maggie, his female cat. The text said something like, "I came home from work and this is where I found Maggie! I promise to get all the cat hair off before I return your bag!".  I thought the picture was so cute I couldn't even get mad. I responded by saying how cute the picture was and promising to crochet Maggie her own little mat. This past December, I finally did. Luckily, I had a bunch of skeins of the same yarn I'd used for the computer bag left in my old yarn stash. I think I got them on sale at Walmart or somewhere, if I remember correctly. I looked online for a pattern for a pet bed and I found this one: http://crochet-with-cris.blogspot.com/2012/02/1-skein-pet-bed-pattern.html

This pattern was really easy, fun, and quick to make. I did end up making two circles to put together. It made it more cushioned and prettier since both sides were right sides. My friend has since washed the mat and I'm happy to say the yarn washes well. All the cat hair comes off and it only needs to be air dried flat. You can use any worsted yarn, really. I do recommend doubling up the yarn if it's a bit thin as well as making two circles. I'm very happy to say Maggie loves her new little mat and uses it often!



Maggie on the original computer bag.


The finished Maggie Mat!


The queen of her new throne!


No comments:

Post a Comment